THE MADELYN LOCKHART DISSERTATION FELLOWSHIP AND THE ASSOCIATION FOR ACADEMIC WOMEN EMERGING SCHOLAR AWARDS
The Association for Academic Women (AAW) at the University of Florida established the Madelyn Lockhart Dissertation Fellowship in 1996 to honor an outstanding female graduate student. One fellowship in an amount up to $2,000 will be awarded to assist in the dissertation phase of the doctoral degree. The recipient must be enrolled in dissertation credits for at least one semester (for example summer 2015 or fall 2015 and/or spring, 2016) after she is selected to receive the fellowship.
The award was established to recognize Dr. Madelyn Lockhart who served as Dean of the Graduate School and Dean of International Studies and Programs from 1985 to 1993, Associate Dean from 1981 to 1985 and Assistant Dean from 1973 to 1977 and 1979 to 1981.
Finalists for the Lockhart Fellowship are automatically considered for an award through the AAW Emerging Scholar Program. First presented in 2008, these cash awards, with support from the UF president’s office, range from $500 to $2000.
The applicants must be a full-time or full-time equivalent doctoral degree (PhD) candidate as defined by the Graduate School at the University of Florida who has completed her doctoral course work. She should have passed the qualifying exam and be writing or be ready to write her dissertation. Preference will be given to women in the later stages of their dissertation research and writing.
A nomination can come from a faculty member or from the candidate herself, and are welcome from candidates in any Ph.D. program.
The application packet (hard copies of all materials) must include:
- A cover letter which includes the title of the dissertation, the department, the college, the name of the doctoral advisor, the date of completion of qualifying exams, the expected graduation date and other information the applicant wishes to share with the selection committee.
- A three to five page proposal double-spaced, with additional pages of references, describing the dissertation, its potential importance and its relevance to the field of study.
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the committee chair. The chair’s letter should include a statement concerning the applicant's progress toward the degree.Letters may be included in the packet or submitted by email to email@example.com.
- An official University of Florida graduate transcript.
- A current vitae with applicant contact information including an email address, telephone number and mailing address.
- As part of the evaluation process, the selection committee will review the fellowship awardees demonstrated achievement to date and promise in her chosen field.
Note: The dissertation proposal must be approved by the applicant’s graduate committee prior to submission of an application.
Award Selection and Procedures
Deadline for Applications:
4pm, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 14TH, 2015. Applications sumitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Submit Applications to:
Madelyn Lockhart Dissertation Fellowship Committee
C/O Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research
200 Ustler Hall,PO BOX 117352
Gainesville, FL 32611
A faculty committee will evaluate the applications. Committee members are selected by the Executive Committee of AAW. They represent the physical and social sciences, humanities, and professional programs.
The award will be presented during the Women's History Month Celebration to be held at the University of Florida President’s house in March, 2015. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision on or before March 15, 2013. Notification will be by an email message sent to the email address included in the application packet. An invitation to the presentation event will be sent from the president’s office to finalists. The invitation will be sent electronically to the email address listed for the finalist in her application packet.
Questions about the fellowship application process should be directed to Dr. Carol Kem at firstname.lastname@example.org.